The first time I played the song, they each had a blank piece of paper and wrote down as many words as they could recognize.
The second time, I gave them a sheet of lyrics with a couple missing words. They listened while following along with the lyrics, trying to fill in the blanks.
Then we went through the lyrics - line by line - and translated the song. I explained any strange vocabulary (such as "killer hook") or verbs ("had some studio time booked").
I haven't picked a song yet for this Thursday, so I'm open to suggestions (for this week and future weeks, if you think of a good one later).
Although I have an iPod loaded with music, it's harder to find a good song than you'd think:
- The words have to be clear and understandable
- The song can't be too fast
- It should be between 2-4 minutes (since you listen to it a couple of times)
- Have a concrete theme for 12&14 year olds
- (Some of my alternative favorites are a bit too vague. "These Words" was easier for them to follow after I explained that it was about the artist trying to write a song. Lots of the songs I listen to, I couldn't even tell you what they're about...they're open to interpretation)