Upon my return to Madrid (and the internet), I started spending some time
Two weeks ago this DIY Kindle Cover caught my eye. I decided I'd make it once my kindle arrived.
Last weekend while continuing my never-ending cleaning/organization project at Gregorio's house, I kept my eye open for materials I could use for this project or other crafting endeavors. Although the DIY Kindle Cover directions called for a hard cover book, I found an agenda book from 2008 with removable pages on one of Gregorio's shelves. It was less sturdy than a hardcover book, but it would allow me to skip the step of cutting out the pages from the binding from a hard cover.
|2008 Agenda cover with calendar inserts removed|
Since my kindle arrived this past Friday, I was anxious to make the case as soon as possible. Saturday morning before I had to leave for frisbee, I went to my closest chino shop in an attempt to buy everything I needed at one location. I could have searched around for a fabric shop, but if I could find everything I needed that morning then on Sunday I'd be able to make it (even though all of the shops would be closed).
For the kindle case project I bought mini hot glue gun sticks, a vinyl table cover, and elastic. Each of those items were a euro or less, except for the vinyl table cover which was 2,50 euro. I also picked up some shoelaces, two small dish towels, and sewing needles and thread to be used for future projects.
I'll show you step-by-step what I ended up doing. Remember, credit for the idea goes to Lori at Crown Hill. I made some changes due to the materials I had available to me.
Step 1: Cut the book cover to fit the size of your kindle.
I was able to use a pair of scissors instead of an exacto knife since my cover was softer than a hard cover book.
|Cut the edges to fit the size of your kindle|
|Just the right size|
Step 2: Make four holes on the right panel of your book for the elastic.
I made sure the holes were in line with each other and that the elastic would fall where I wanted it to on the kindle.
While Lori used a drill for this part, I found a nail and hammer and was easily able to make the holes.
|Making holes with a nail and hammer|
Step 3: Thread the elastic through the holes. In the picture below you can see how the length I cut the elastic compares to the size of the right book cover panel. I'd rather trim the elastic a bit than finish threading it through and discover it's too short.
|Cut the two elastic strips longer than the right panel's length|
In order to get the thick elastic through these small holes, I ended up using the nail again. I folded the corner of an end of the elastic over so that it was twice as thick and pushed it through with the nail. I found that if you don't fold over part of the elastic, the nail will simply poke a hole through the elastic instead of pushing it down.
|Being resourceful and threading elastic with a nail|
Step 4: Adjust the elastic straps to the tightness you want.
I put my kindle in and pulled the elastic on the back side until I was happy with the tightness.
|Adjusting the elastic straps before gluing them down|
Step 5: Glue down the ends of the elastic straps on the back cover.
I used the hot glue gun for this part. I tried to make the elastic lie as flat as it could when I glued it, but I knew the back would still be a bit bumpy after covering it.
|Glue down the ends of the elastic straps|
Step 6: Cut out your vinyl (or in my case, table cloth), leaving about an inch overhang on each side. Then glue the vinyl to the outside cover.
I think Lori used some type of fabric glue for this part, then let it dry while being pressed under heavy books for many hours. Since I only had the hot glue gun, that's what I used to glue down the cover. Thick lumps of hot glue can dry quickly leaving an undesired bumpy texture, so I was careful to only squeeze out a little bit of hot glue at a time. I would smooth it out right away so that the glue would set as flat as possible. I quickly turned to using the handles of my scissors to do the pushing and smoothing out, as that glue is quite hot - even through the vinyl!
|Glue the vinyl to the cover|
Step 7: Cut a diagonal at each corner, as pictured below.
I realized at this point that I hadn't left enough space along the right side between the elastic strap and the edge of the case. This was problematic because when I folded the vinyl flap over, it covered up part of the elastic straps.
To fix this issue, I made the cuts shown below so that the vinyl wouldn't overlap the elastic. The first indent I cut was on the right side, but I went too deep. The indent on the left side worked a lot better, as the material folded right up to the edge of the elastic.
|Creative problem solving|
Step 8: Fold the edge flaps in and glue them down.
|Flaps glued down|
Although this was just the inside of the case, I thought it looked a little sloppy since I hadn't made my edge lines very straight. Then I had the idea of using that shoestring I had bought to make it look neater. I'm very happy with the addition:
|Looks better with shoelace|
And that's it! For now I'm just using some shoelace scraps to keep the cover closed, but on my next craft adventure I might try to make a more decorative elastic strap like Lori did. Here are my current results:
|DIY Kindle Case success!|
I'm off to do some reading. (On the kindle obviously!)