Sunday, April 25, 2010

Backpacking through Morocco: Part 3 - Marrakech

[Note: This post is part of a series.  Find Part 1 here and Part 2 here.]

March 30, 2010

We had a wonderful breakfast in the hostel the next morning: delicious Moroccan bread, a square pancake-type thing with butter and honey, freshly squeezed orange juice, and coffee.  Mike´s train was supposed to get in around 7:30am in Marrakech, so we expected him to arrive by 8:30 or so.  At 10:30 Mike still hadn´t arrived and we started to worry.  Izzy checked her facebook to see if he had written anything, and had told us that he got the train ticket, and to expect him the following morning.

We decided to leave the hostel for a bit, and come back in an hour or so to see if he had arrived yet.  We wandered around the medina:
  En la medina

Un burro: ¡qué mono! 

We got back to the hostel around noon, and Mike arrived shortly after that.  He was dead-tired, but was also really hungry, so we sat up on the roof of the hostel and had tea, and then we walked through the medina and had lunch up on a patio overlooking the main plaza.
La vista

La plaza

 La mezquita (mosque)

Later that afternoon Mike napped while the rest of us spent more time up on the roof.  That evening, we had dinner at a famous restaurant, Restaurant Dar Essalam.  The menu's blurb about itself read: 
"An authentic 17th century palace, superbly preserved, in the historic heart of the Medina. From 50s on, such notables as Winston Churchill, Alfred Hitchcock, Charles Trenet and Sean Connery have enjoyed delights of true Moroccan cuisine."  
The meals were the most expensive we had all week, but it was probably the fanciest meal I´ve eaten in my life, and had it been the same meal in Madrid, the total would have at least been double what we paid.

 Chicken Cous-cous

 Yo, Mara, Jimmy, Mike, Izzy

There was live music during our meal, as well as a few acts.  One was a woman that danced with a tray of candles balanced on her head.  I grabbed a clip of that:

Since we were to leave for the desert the following morning, after dinner we packed our bags and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment